I've been exploring typography. As i learned more and started really looking at how type is used, i became a little fixated with finding ligatures in advertising, marketing and literature in particular. I started to wonder if ligatures could be created for well used acronyms in the creative industry and there really was only one place to start.
The idea of a FFS ligature was born.
Beginning with doodles/sketches/notes and photos, i settled on a style of type and got to work.
After scanning in my sketches, I began cranking the vectors in Illustrator. This is when things got quite tricky and accuracy became extremely important. I zoomed Illustrator in to 3200% and kept going, printing out the occasional version to look at it properly and asking others for their opinions. I had many weeks of walking away and coming back to it until i was happy with it. It was time to make some stuff.
In Aberdeen, we’re fortunate enough to have access to a laser cutter. What better thing to do to your pristine, perfect vector shapes than to throw it at some lasers! I output this onto thin MDF and created some coasters. Tea drinkers in the creative industry need somewhere to put their cups.
I created a set of identical stickers and handed them out to friends. It was only a matter of time before I found one in the wild.
This made me smile…
This made FFS real for me…